The history of our school
The history of our school building began in the 1910s when the establishment of a new grammar school was requested in Pesterzsébet, then called Erzsébetfalva. The grammar school opened its gates on October 9 1919 in a modest yard building at 5 Posta Street, accepting only ninth and tenth graders. In the 1921/1922 term, eleventh and twelfth graders were also accepted and the school moved into the building of the state elementary school located at 20 Lázár Street. On March 15 1922 it was named Kossuth Grammar School after 19th-century Hungarian statesman and social reformer, Lajos Kossuth.
The present school building was built in 1929 in Transylvanian-Hungarian style and was designed by Jánszky Béla and Szivessy Tibor. The façade of the building is decorated by a relief displaying Lajos Kossuth as well as scenes from the everyday life of students.
In the present school building Kossuth Grammar School began to operate with eight classes in October 1929. At the time, the building was the most modern school in Budapest with separate Music, Arts and Physics rooms. Nevertheless, it had certain shortcomings: there was no central heating and they didn’t manage to build the gymnasium, though it was planned.
The Fifth Technical School of Machine Industry – later called Eötvös Loránd Technical School of Machine Industry– was placed in the building of Kossuth Grammar School in 1950, where they started three engineering classes. By 1951, the school had operated with 6 classes and in that year steel structures specialization was introduced. From 1951 to 1965 the school had a students’ hostel in Ady Endre Street, necessitated by the fact that it was the only educational institution in the country where students could study steel structures specialization. In 1954 a modern steel structures erecting shop was attached to the old school building, equipped with spare machines donated by various factories. In 1960 in answer to the request of MALÉV (Hungarian National Airlines), air transport engineering training started, which ran out in the 1968/1969 term.
On July 31 1997 the Council of Budapest decided to integrate the Vocational Technical School of Pestszenterzsébet with Eötvös Loránd Technical School of Machine Industry within the framework of the capital’s rationalizing program, resulting in a new institution named Eötvös Loránd Secondary Technical School. In accord with the decision of the Council of Budapest, the erecting shop and the classrooms above it were demolished, only to be replaced by a gymnasium, new workshops, laboratories and classrooms.
Investment and renovation went extremely fast; therefore, the 1998/1999 term could be officially opened by Dr Gábor Demszky, mayor of Budapest. The following years saw the enhancement of vocational training, the formation of vocational-oriented foundational training, as well as the introduction of foreign language (English and German) preliminary education.
As part of the “Rearrangement of Institutions” program, the Council of Budapest integrated Szabóky Adolf Technical and Vocational School with Eötvös Loránd Technical School in 2007, to be realized in September 2008. Eötvös Loránd Secondary Technical and Vocational School has incorporated the profile of Szabóky Adolf Technical and Vocational School with special attention to the education of deaf and hard-of-hearing students and adults.
In accord with the November 2007 decision of the Council of Budapest, the system of vocational training was rearranged. As a result, our school is a secondary technical school offering general education and arranging vocational training based on our agreement with Szily and Petrik Tiszk (centres of vocational training).
Our educational goal is to keep and develop our industrial and IT profile. We are motivated to provide high-quality theoretical and practical education in engineering, environmental protection and information technology. Our well-qualified staff strives to offer an educational program that provides students with an opportunity to prove successful.